Record Details

NHER Number:35184
Type of record:Building
Name:Manor Farmhouse

Summary

An ornate two storey timber framed farmhouse with a pantiled roof, dating to about 1630. A brick skin was applied to its northern elevation in about 1780, and a rear extension added in about 1860, when the building was remodelled. The house was restored in the 20th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0198 9829
Map Sheet:TM09NW
Parish:GREAT ELLINGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Early 17th century timber framed house, lobby entrance three cell plan, two storeys plus parlour attic. Oddities in roof construction. Grand 18th century brick façade altered in 19th century when plan of house rearranged.
See report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 May 2000.

October 2000. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse. c.1630 timber frame, with brick skin applied to north elevation c.1780, and a full-height rear outshut in c.1860. Further 20th century alterations. Timber frame, brick and flint; pantiled roofs with brick left ridge and right end stacks.
PLAN: lobby-entrance plan with parlour-hall-service disposition.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. North elevation divided into 3 elements by means of 4 full-heights pilasters with reconstituted stone strings at the eaves. Central bay with door set to left: 6-panelled raised and fielded door within a bolection doorcase with panelled jambs and scrolled consoles supporting entablature hood with dentils. 19th century 3/3 horned sash to right of door, and one similar sash in each of the outer bays. Gauged skewback arches with the inner edge of each arch truncated when the openings narrowed in the 19th century. Above door is one 8/8 unhorned sash within a flush frame; remainder are 3-light casements of the 1950s. Ridge stack over door, and an internal gable-end stack to the west.
Rear elevation with full-height mid 19th century outshut running from west gable to a line east of the stack: flint with brick dressings and partly rendered. Late 20th century conservatory attached. One 10/10 unhorned sash to first floor of outshut wall, and 2 late 20th century light casements. Single-storey 20th century outshut abuts to the east.
INTERIOR: former parlour to east end: chamfered spine beam running into a bridging beam over the fireplace opening. Fireplace with plain cambered bressumer. 2-panel late 18th century fielded door from entrance lobby.
Entrance lobby with winder staircase on north side.
Main room west of stack (former hall) with one chamfered bridging beam with tongue stops.
Joists also chamfered and with tongue stops. 19th century partition at west end. Wide inglenook fireplace rebuilt late 20th century under a cambered and chamfered bressumer.
West room (former service rooms) with chamfered bridging beam and joists as before. Mortise holes indicate original partition was of 2 rooms of different size.
First floor with heads of splayed principal studs, linked by chamfered tie beams with tongue stops. Truss west of the stack with mortise holes in tie beam and studs to take very large arched braces. Passageway partition inserted on south side in 19th century. East room over parlour with cruciform bridging beams, and a 2-panel late 18th century door with raised fielding.
Roof of principals, secondaries and 2 tiers of purlins. Upper tier clasped with the collars and diminished principals, the lower tier butted into the principals. Curved windbracing to some bays.
Information from (S2).

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF3514.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2000. Building Survey.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1385361.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service