|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman and medieval to post-medieval finds|
Sporadic metal-detecting between 1998 and 2012 recovered Roman and medieval to post-medieval metal objects. The metal finds include a Roman copper alloy jug fragment and a small finger ring from the 3rd century; part of a medieval buckle frame; a medieval/post-medieval button, weight and part of a knife and post-medieval buckle frames and a belt-clasp with animal-head terminals.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 06 24|
|Parish:||THEMELTHORPE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
February 1998. Metal-detecting.
Roman small finger ring made from a very white lead, with 'hunched' shoulders and a slim bezel decorated with an engraved saltire. Perhaps a child's ring. 3rd century. (S1)
Part of a large medieval single-looped buckle frame, or round section with lobes at ends of missing bar.
Early post-medieval part of a rather bent single-looped buckle frame with white-metal coating. The buckle was originally sub-rectangular with incurved sides to the loop which projected beyond the bar, and a large grooved knop at the pin rest. For comparison see History Beneath Our Feet No 656. Traces of iron pin on bar.
K. Sussams (NCM), 13 May 1999.
Before 5 May 2010. Metal-detecting. Site extended.
Romano-British, medieval, medieval/post-medieval and post-medieval metal objects.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 16 June 2010.
October 2012. Metal-detecting. .
Medieval/post-medieval copper alloy button.
Post-medieval buckle frames and a crotal bell.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 5 February 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- JUG (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KNIFE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WEIGHT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1600 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PURSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUCKLE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD to 1720 AD)
- CROTAL (16th Century to 17th Century - 1600 AD to 1700 AD)
- BUCKLE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1660 AD to 1720 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
Related records - none
Find out more...