Record Details

NHER Number:35017
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Prehistoric flints and post medieval metal objects

Summary

Metal detecting and fieldwalking here in 1998 recovered an early post medieval belt or harness mount, a post medieval lead trade weight and a retouched prehistoric flint flake.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 22 21
Map Sheet:TG22SW
Parish:STRATTON STRAWLESS, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

October-November 1998. Metal detecting. Cross ref NHER 24030.
H. M. Geake (NCM) identified:
(1) Early post medieval belt or harness mount. The central lob is pear or drop-shaped; at the apex there is a small rounded terminal and at the base a larger lozenge shaped one, both with radiating grooves. Two spikes (one bent over) on reverse.
(2) Half-ounze trade weight of lead, flat and broad and circular with the two-shield emblem of the Commonwealth stamped on it plus a half circle. Now weighs 11.82g (0.42oz). Commonwealth period 1649-1660.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 18 July 1999.

Before 28 August 1998. Field observation. Beccles Farm - south field. Location [1].
P. A. Robins (NCM) identified: retouched flake. Short broad rectangular flake of dark brown flint from a pebble. Minor retouch and edge damage. Negligible patination. Undatable Prehistoric.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 22 December 2000.

September 2013. Metal-detecting. Discovery Tours, Field 7. Site extended to the whole field. [2].
DT2013 - PAS details to follow.
A. Beckham (HES), 23 September 2013.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • HARNESS FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources - none

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service