Record Details

NHER Number:34950
Type of record:Monument
Name:Remains of Wiveton Marsh Bridge

Summary

Two lumps of mortared flint exist to the east of the present Wiveton Bridge. It has been suggested that these relate to the 'Wiveton Bridge in the Marsh' mentioned in a will of 1560 as a separate entity from 'Wiverton Bridge of two arches' (NHER 6141). Whatever the case, it seems likely that these flint and mortar stumps are of medieval date.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0464 4262
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:WIVETON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

East of present bridge, on north side of ditch along north side of road.
Two lumps of mortared flint, with one brick possibly of early date, but seen only from south side of ditch in dusk, due to flood conditions. Recently damaged by ditch clearing or farm machinery - flints spread around.
Source [1] states that the late B. Cozens-Hardy 'and others' have identified these remains with 'Wiveton Bridge in the Marsh' mentioned in a will of 1560 as separate from 'Wiverton Bridge of two arches' which they take to be the present bridge.
See NHER 6141 for discussion of whether this can be so. These remains, in themselves, can only be said to be lumps of mortared flint and brick, possibly medieval.
Source further states that the remains, when clear, consist of four 'piers' of flint 1m diameter and 1m apart, joined by continuous wall at water level.
E. Rose (NAU).

Summer 2000.
Flint rubble foundations bonded with yellow mortar exposed during a small scale trial excavation.
See pictures in file.
A. Hutcheson (NLA) 30 October 2000.

Monument Types

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Wright, J.. 2002. The Glaven Historian. No 4. pp 3-37.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.

Related records

6141Part of: Wiveton Bridge (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service