|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Hippodrome, St George's Road|
A purpose built circus, built in 1903 by R.S. Cockrill. The circus is built of concrete, with a slightly curving entrance façade, with tiled ticket offices, and decorated with columns and Art Nouveau motifs. Each bay of the façade is flanked with square towers. The central circus survives inside, and is one of only three examples in the world which can be converted into a pool.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 5302 0711|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Purpose built circus of 1903 by R. S. Cockrill.
Concrete faced in brick and terracotta. Slightly curved facade of 3 bays, each with semi-circular arch over entrance and booking offices. Flanking each bay are square towers, outer ones with rustication, inner ones with Art Nouveau motifs and supporting domes. Main frieze of owls. Interior has renewed seats and balconies but is one of only three in the world that converts into a pool, and one of only two circus buildings in Britain, the other being Blackpool Tower.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 March 1999.
- CIRCUS (RECREATIONAL) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|MNO5941||Related to: The Hippodrome St. George's Road GREAT YARMOUTH (Revoked)|
Find out more...