|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval to post medieval earthworks and medieval coin hoard|
The slight earthworks visible on this site are probably the remains of a medieval to post medieval enclosure, common and common edge ditch shown on an estate map of 1629 and the enclosure map of 1815. A medieval coin hoard dating from the reign of Henry III was found by a metal detectorist in 1999.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Faint remains of common edge ditch and enclosure associated with farmstead shown on (S1) and probably the same buildings and enclosures less clearly portrayed on (S2). Later drainage ditch, partly alongside a broad ridge which could be an early field boundary or a former drive to Morley Hall.
Not sufficient to justify survey at this time.
Height O.D. 45 m.
Medieval coin hoard within field at .
Information from A. Rogerson (NLA), hoard should be at NCM.
B. Cushion (NLA), 24 February 1999.
Context 2: Coin hoard found February 1999.
Deposited temp Henry III.
21 coins of which 9 have been identified by by J. Davies (NCM).
Identified at British Museum.
See J. Davies' (NCM) identifications and treasure form and list of British Museum/J.A. Davies (NCM) identifications in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 15 October 1999 and 26 January 2000.
Coin hoard found February 1999 disclaimed as Treasure.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 8 November 2000.
Hall farm was likely the fourth site for the Norfolk Agricultural Station, an experimental farm where new methods, crops and machinery were trialed and tested for viability. The site was managed by a committee of local farmers and members of the Ministry of Agriculture, Cambridge University, the Royal Agricultural Society of England and Norfolk County Council. The station was based around Morley from 1966 and now under the name "Morley Agricultural Foundation" farms 709 hectares east of Norwich and provides research and education for farmers and colleges.
NIAS records (S3)
W. Arnold HES 26/01/11
May 2012. Norfolk NMP.
Possible common edge ditches and enclosures are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S4-S5) to the south of Hall Lane, Morley St Botolph. The polygon has been extended slightly to the north to include further ditches, which may have performed a drainage function, but may also represent common edge enclosure (S6). Several of those described above are visible on the tithe map (S7), and have therefore not been mapped.
E. Bales (NMP), 09 May 2012.
- COMMON LAND (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN HOARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Map: 1815. Morley St Boltolph and St Peter Enclosure Map. |
|<S2>||Map: Waterman, T.. 1629. Map of Morley St Botolph with St Peter. |
|<S3>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S4>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK/101 PART II 6069-70 30-MAR-1946 (NMR). |
|<S5>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1970. OS/70282 153-4 31-JUL-1970 (NMR). |
|<S6>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S7>||Map: Newton and Woodrow. 1841. Morley tithe map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...