|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Street Farmhouse, The Street|
This late 16th or early 17th century house is timber-framed with a pantiled roof. It is constructed on a two cell lobby entrance plan, with a single storey wing with 18th century window casements and roof. The two three-light mullion windows have been reopened, and the central chimney stack has find diamond shafts with moulded tops.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2643 9179|
|TOPCROFT, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 1960. Listed, Grade II.
Late 16th or early 17th century house. Timber frame, pantiled. Two cell lobby entrance, with single storey wing. 18th century casements. Rebuilt axial stack. Three lights remain of a first floor ovolo moulded window. Interior has intact timber frame with arched braces from corner posts to wall plates. Lower register of butt purlins, upper register of clasped purlins with windbraces. Lower range also has timber frame with first floor mullioned window with sliding shutter. 18th century roof.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 3 December 1998.
(S2) states that the house stands on the site of a monastery destroyed around 1300 and that a carved crown on a beam indicates the house was a refuge for cavaliers. No evidence is offered to support either of these theories.
E. Rose (NLA), 2006.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
- LOBBY ENTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 738-739. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305873. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2006. Walk in the footsteps of Cavaliers. 25 July. |
Related records - none
Find out more...