|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Little Manor, The Street|
This house was built around 1600, and is a timber-frame and brick building with a partially hipped thatched roof. The building is constructed on three cell lobby entrance plan, and has an off-centre chimneystack with a base of 16th/17th century brick.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2660 9200|
|TOPCROFT, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
House built around 1600. Timber-frame and brick. Thatched roof part hipped. Three cell lobby entrance 20th century openings; brick plinth right of porch. Eyebrow dormers. Off centre stack with base of 16th/17th century brick, lower roof ridge to right. First floor window over two plank doors once used as hayloft. North ground floor room has heavy chamfered beam, lambstongue and nick stops; four light diamond mullioned window. Similar south room now workshop.
Central room has four light diamond mullioned window; floor possibly inserted, beam being held with heavy coupled rafters; cambered tiebeam with stud partition; arch braces to tiebeams.
Roof south of chimney stack perhaps 18th century.
Information from (S1).
But if this is a hall house a date of around 1600 seems late, and would ground floor windows be diamond mullions at this period?
E. Rose (NLA), 3 December 1998.
- HALL HOUSE? (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD)
- LOBBY ENTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...