|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman and Middle Saxon to medieval finds|
Middle Saxon, Late Saxon and medieval pottery sherds were recovered as stray finds in 1968 to 1969, while metal-detecting in 2015 recovered 1 medieval coin; a Roman plate brooch and a medieval bell and writing lead.
|Grid Reference:||TF 88 24|
|Parish:||RAYNHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1969. South Raynham.
Thetford Ware and medieval sherds found along with one Middle Saxon sherd.
Held by NCM, previously by .
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).
January-May 2015. Metal-detecting. Site extended 85m to the north. .
Roman plate brooch.
1 medieval coin, a bell and writing lead.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 3 July 2015 and 7 February 2017.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PLATE BROOCH (Roman - 100 AD to 200 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (12th Century - 1158 AD to 1180 AD)
- STYLUS (12th Century to 14th Century - 1200 AD to 1400 AD)
- BELL (13th Century to 16th Century - 1300 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Serial: 1970. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1970. No 17. p 12. |
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 82 SE 16. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Raynham . |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Raynham. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Middle Saxon. Raynham. |
Related records - none
Find out more...