Record Details

NHER Number:3687
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Normansburrow Augustinian Priory


An Augustinian Priory was founded here in about 1160. In 1200 it became a Cluniac alien cell but was a proper cell by 1351/74. It was dissolved in 1538 like many others were across Britain. A lump of lava quern from the medieval period was found here in 1982.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8891 2372
Map Sheet:TF82SE

Full description

Augustinian priory, founded around 1160, in 1200 it became a Cluniac alien cell; in 1351/74 it was a cell proper, dissolved in 1538.
See (S1) (S2).
Field at grid ref is marked in 1843 tithe map as 'Priors', giving a possible location at Norman's Burrow.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 July 1981.

2 May 1982. At TF 8898 2366 on west side footpath.
Lump of lava quern found by A. Rogerson (NAU) on arable surface, casual find.
Assigned to context 1.
A. Rogerson (NAU), May 1982.

A cropmark of a two-celled rectangular building aligned approximately east-west is visible on aerial photographs (S3) at TF 8887 2382. The eastern part of this cropmark is now obscured by woodland. The images also show a possible curving enclosure ditch to the south and west of the building, however there is a background of geological features here and it is not clear if this is of archaeological origin.
K. Powell (HES), 19 December 2012.

Monument Types

  • AUGUSTINIAN MONASTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CLUNIAC CELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ALIEN CELL (12th Century to 14th Century - 1200 AD to 1374 AD?)
  • CELL (14th Century to 16th Century - 1351 AD? to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 82 SE 22.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Raynham (South).
<S1>Monograph: Page, W. (ed.). 1906. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 2. p 358.
<S2>Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 97, 101.
<S3>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Infoterra and Bluesky Ltd. 2006. Infoterra and Bluesky Ltd 10-SEP-2006. (Google Earth TF 8887 2382).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service