Record Details

NHER Number:3611
Type of record:Monument
Name:Neolithic long barrow

Summary

A Neolithic long barrow which survives as an earthwork mound and ditch. The long barrow was excavated by the Norfolk Research Committee in the late 1930s, which revealed how it was constructed out of gravel and turves. The excavations also revealed an earthern platform at one end of the barrow, which had been discoloured by burning. This is the best preserved long barrow in Norfolk, one of only five examples in the county.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8103 2533
Map Sheet:TF82NW
Parish:WEST RUDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Long barrow.
On common found by A. Q. Watson (NRC) and J. E. Sainty (NRC)
Shown as round barrow on (S1) on north side of grass track on northwest part of common.
65.8m long x 18.3m maximum wide.
Probably original height 2.2m of turf and gravel.
Main ditch 3.6m wide and 1.2m deep of blunt 'V' section.

Excavated May 1937.
A. Q. Watson (NRC) and J. E. Sainty (NRC) for Norfolk Research Committee.
Flints found in excavation; various flint flakes, polished axe, barbed and tanged arrowhead, potboilers.
See (S2).

September 1937. From east ditch of long barrow on West Rudham Common.
Sherd of 'B' Beaker perhaps from spread of mound, found above iron pan in dark soil 6mm thich, red slip grey paste, horizontal striations.
Handmade, from cutting southwest of cut 1.
R. R. Clarke. (NCM)

Excavated 1938.
A. H. A. Hogg (NRC) for Norfolk Research Committee.
Beaker sherd in ditch.
See (S3) and (S4).

8 July 1976, 21 July 1977 and 26 July 1977.
Norfolk Archaeological Unit aerial photographs.
Long barrow, marked on (S5).
J. E Bown (NAU) 10 December 1980.

January 1984.
No change. In good condition.
J. Wymer (NAU)

1987.
Now fenced.
J. Wymer (NAU)

20 February 1991.
Under bracken, surrounded by concrete posts, minimal rabbit disturbance.
H. Paterson (A&E) February 1991.

3 November 2003. Visit.
Thick bracken cover has recently been cut/rolled, two strips left with standing bracken.
Concrete posts remain in position.
These may be removed as arable cultivation around barrow has ceased under a Countryside Stewardship Scheme, rendering the posts redundant.
Grazing of sheep may be introduced.
H. Paterson (A&E), 17 November 2003.

Monument Types

  • LONG BARROW (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LONG BARROW (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Associated Finds

  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Palaeolithic - 500000 BC to 10001 BC)
  • POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
  • POT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • Higher Level Stewardship

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8125 A-D,F-J,P-Q.
---Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished document: English Heritage. 1995. Schedule Report.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1938. A Norfolk long barrow.. unknown.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn Advertiser. 1938. The Long Barrow at West Rudham Common - picture.. 30 December.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Rudham (west) [3].
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Article in serial: Sainty J. E., Watson, A. Q. and Clarke, R. R. 1938. The First Norfolk Long Barrow. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVI Pt III pp 315-329.
<S3>Article in serial: Hogg, A. H. A. 1940. A Long Barrow at West Rudham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt II pp 315-331.
<S4>Article in serial: Hogg, A. H. A. 1938. Preliminary Report on the Excavation of a Long Barrow at West Rudham, Norfolk. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Vol IV Pt 2 pp 334-336.
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service