|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval pottery works at Greatford, Pott Row|
A large quantity of medieval pottery, including a complete medieval jug, has been found in the garden of Greatford since the 1960s. This suggests that it was the site of a pottery works during the medieval period. Prehistoric flint flakes, burnt flints and other medieval finds have also been found.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7030 2189|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Apparent production site for Grimston ware but no kiln found.
Medieval sherds and kiln debris.
1970 to 1972.
Complete medieval jug found, (S1).
1974, 1981, 1982, 1984.
Finds of masses of medieval sherds including wasters.
1985. From footing trenches.
Medieval pot and lamp or kiln stand, (S2).
Medieval tile and undated lead weight (S3).
See details in file.
D. Gurney (NLA) 8 May 1996.
Before 15 November 2004.
Prehistoric flint flakes and burnt flint.
E. Darch (NLA) 27 January 2005.
- POTTERY WORKS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WEIGHT (Undated)
- BURNT FLINT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KILN FURNITURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KILN WASTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LAMP (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WASTER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Serial: Council for British Archaeology Bulletin. No 11. |
|---||Unpublished document: Robbins, P. (NCM). 2004. Lithic Report. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Grimston . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Unknown. 1972. Drawing of a medieval jug.. Paper. 1:2. |
|<S2>||Illustration: James, E. M.. 1972. Drawing of a medieval pot and lamp or kiln stand.. Paper. 1:2. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Gurney, D.. 1996. Sketch of a undated lead weight.. Paper. 1:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...