|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Late Saxon and medieval pottery works|
Kiln waste dating from the Late Saxon to the medieval period, found in 1967, suggests that this was the site of a pottery works in the Late Saxon and medieval periods. Linear cropmarks of unknown date are visible on aerial photographs of the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 712 225|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
10th to 15th century sherds, kiln lining etc suggest kilns site linked with those previously reported.
See (S1) and (S2).
17 May 1982.
Cropmarks of three parallel lines
Significance, if any?
D. A. Edwards (NAU) and E. Rose (NAU) 17 May 1982.
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- POTTERY KILN (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POTTERY WORKS (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POTTERY KILN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POTTERY WORKS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KILN WASTE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- KILN WASTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7122T. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Grimston. |
|<S1>||Serial: Council for British Archaeology Bulletin. No 14. |
|<S2>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...