|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Michael's Church, Saxon Way, Wormegay|
Set to the east of the village on its own, this church has a 13th century chancel and a 14th century three stage west tower that was restored in 1896. The nave was rebuilt in 1893 and the chancel restored, though the blocked 13th century lancet windows remain, one on each side. To the left and right of the 14th century east window are big niches with paintings in them. The font is 14th/15th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6741 1202|
|Parish:||WORMEGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
14th to 15th century with possible Norman piscina. Crucifix from priory?
See notes (S1) and press cutting (S2) in file.
Photograph (S3) and correspondence (S4) and (S5) in file. Listed (S6).
E. Rose (NAU), September 1990.
Parish church. Late 14th century west tower, continuous nave and chancel of 13th century origin, the former rebuilt 1893 by C. H. Loht of London, the latter completely altered. Carrstone, some sandstone and ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roof. Three stage tower, but outwardly of two stages. Diagonal buttresses to second stage have carved shields within quatrefoils on plinths. Two-light four-centred west window of Perpendicular tracery. Relief carving above of Crucifixion in medieval date. String course below two-light segmental pointed belfry windows. Restored crenellated parapet. Polygonal stair tower to southwest added 1896. One buttress to nave and chancel south side. Arched south door and five 19th century windows: paired lancet, single lancet, two-light square headed and two two-light Perpendicular chancel windows. Three-light east window 15th century with supermullions and stepped transoms. North side of church with same fenestration as south, a blocked door to chancel and a diagonal buttress at west end. Interior. Tall double chamfered tower arch. Late 14th century octagonal font, the bowl decorated with shields within quatrefoils. Roof of moulded arched braces alternately dropping to corbels at wall plate or to wall posts with capitals and bases. Moulded collars carry braces to principals and ridge piece. Ashlaring, wind-bracing and two tiers moulded butt purlins. Main arched brace at original division of nave and chancel is trefoiled each side. Medieval tomb slab with foliated latin cross in chancel. To right and left of each window an ogeed cusped and sub-cusped niche within square surround of late 14th century. Substantial remains of paint including painted lierne vaults.
Information from (S6).
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF6712A-D 12 July 1974, E-F 30 July 1975, H-J 9 February 1984; K. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N.. Buildings of England.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1975. Building Report.. |
|<S3>||Photograph: Untitled. |
|<S4>||Correspondence: Robert Walker Msc, MCIOB, MRTPI.. 1996. Letter to Revd J. Nolan. 26 July. |
|<S5>||Correspondence: Cleaver, J., Diocesan Advisory Committee. 1996. Letter to E. Rose (NLA). 13 August. |
|<S6>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...