|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
A Neolithic flint axehead and an Early Bronze Age flint adze were found in 1964. Metal detecting between 1998 and 2003 recovered a hoard of seven Iron Age gold coins. More recently, a medieval brooch, post medieval buckle and fragments of medieval roof tile and medieval/post-medieval brick were discovered here.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||WORMEGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Context 3 at (see Notes) formerly numbered NHER 3436. Neolithic flint axehead and Early Bronze Age fine flint adze.
(S1). (Information from copy NCM card).
Undated but found before 1974. Context 4 at (see Notes). 'Adze in Cambridge University Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography B. Beeby, A. S. Mottram' written on KLM record map (could this be the same as context 3 above misplaced?? (formerly numbered NHER 3466).
10 April 1973. Green glazed jug found. Information from KLM. (on NCM record map). Accurate grid reference obtained from KLM map by E. Rose (NAU), May 1981.
Source's (undated) personal record card refers to 'Medieval sherds in foundation trench' with approximate grid reference of this area.
But Parish Councillor says that the second entry cannot relate to this find as there are no buildings in this field , and he cannot think of any foundation trenches cut in that area since 1945. Perhaps therefore this was a mistake.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 May 1983.
16 October 1986. Fieldwalking, winter cereal and weathered soil.
Context 1 is the whole field. Odd sherds of medieval pottery mainly from northern third, and one flint flake. WGY AN. NCM.
R. J. Silvester (NAU), 19 October 1986.
For full details of wares, flint types etc see Fenland Folders
October 1998. Metal detecting.
Two Iron Age gold coins, 7m apart.
See annotated 1:2500 from finder in file.
See photographs in file, letter and map copy.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 4 November 1998.
Found near Iron Age gold coins and at same time by .
Copper alloy object like a miniature purse bar, late 15th or 16th century. A bent-over loop passes through a hole in the bar and ends in a knob. A very short (37mm) bar tapers to two similar knobs. Grey metal with file marks.
(S1) NCM (and sent to ).
A .Rogerson (NLA)
February 1999. Metal detecting.
Two more Iron Age gold staters from hoard. Details to come.
Of the four so far found, three were within a 9.1m (10 yard) triangle and one (of the two latest finds) was about 27.5m (30 yards) away.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 2 April 1999.
Details of all four Iron Age gold coins found October 1998 and February 1999 in file.
All four disclaimed as Treasure.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 9 November 2000.
March 2003. Metal detecting.
Two more Iron Age coins from hoard, as well as one more found in excavation with NLA (details to follow).
Medieval strap-end or buckle.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 10 April 2003.
March 2006. Metal-detecting.
Lead decorated spindle whorl which could be Roman or later in date.
Information from PAS download.
A. Cattermole (HES), 10 January 2013.
September/October 2006. Metal-detecting.
1 medieval brooch.
1 Post-medieval buckle.
Identified by S. Ashley (NLA). See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 23 November 2006.
Updated by J. Page (HES), 6 March 2014.
Before 15 November 2011. Stray find.
Fragments of medieval roof tiles and medieval/post-medieval bricks.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (HES), 29 February 2012.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman to Medieval - 43 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FLAKED AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN HOARD (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Roman to 15th Century - 43 AD? to 1500 AD?)
- BRICK (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MINIATURE OBJECT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PURSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WGY AN. FENS. |
|---||Publication: Council for British Archaeology. no.11. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 SE 25. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Wormegay . |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Wormegay. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wormegay . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
Related records - none
Find out more...