Record Details

NHER Number:3450
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval chapel

Summary

This is the site of a ruined medieval chapel, one wall of which has survived in a flint and brick house built on the site. A possible blocked doorway and other reused medieval stonework was revealed when new drains were being dug alongside the house in 1997.

Images

  • The surviving wall of a medieval chapel incorporated into a later house in Castle Acre  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8174 1514
Map Sheet:TF81NW
Parish:CASTLE ACRE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

August 1975. Visit.
'Chapel, Remains of' marked as antiquity on (S1).
First house on left (east) after 'Bailey Gate' has the lower portion of its west wall in squared stone, but upper storey of flint as with the other houses.
History of this chapel remains obscure.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 August 1975.

(S2) describes it as 'a chapel for the castle, the walls of which have been converted into a dwelling house'.

(S3) taken when the drains were repaired on the southwest corner shows that the street level has risen considerably even in the last century, since the drains were first put in.
Southwest quoins of stone, probably reset and quoins below are of brick.
Similar brick forms a possible jamb of blocked door in south wall; appears to be of early date.
Walls rest on rammed gravel, no masonry foundations, which could well confirm an early date.
Further photographs show reused stonework.
E. Rose (NLA) 17 September 1997.

24 March 1999. Visit.
Part of interior seen briefly.
The rear section is open from floor to roof with the part upper floor suspended like a wooden box.
E. Rose 29 March 1999

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 2000. 25 August.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Castle Acre.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Serial: 1819. Excursions Through Norfolk.. Vol II.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. 25 inch 1st edition. OS.
<S3>Photograph: Paterson, H. (A&E). 1997. 'Chapel' at Castle Acre.

Related records

43123Part of: Castle Acre planned town (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service