|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Ashwicken|
A medieval parish church dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries. The west tower has a pyramidal tiled roof and a 13th century west window. The church was restored in the 19th century, and the chancel and south porch were completely rebuilt. The interior of the church has a 19th century king post roof and a mid 19th century font.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6983 1883|
|Parish:||LEZIATE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
14th to 15th centuries, much restored in 19th century.
For full details see (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 18 June 1981.
August 1960. Listed, Grade II*.
Flint, carstone and some Sandringham sandstone, stone dressings, renewed roof of pantiles, oversailing brick cornice. Tower: pyramidal tiled roof, no parapet; 2 massive diagonal brick buttresses, 16th century, with diaper patterning; 13th century west window of cusped Y tracery having carstone above but below bell stage; bell stage set back with single lancet to each face, that to east blocked.
South porch rebuilt 19th century, south face of flint, returns mainly carstone, tile roof; diagonal buttresses; plain chamfered arch with niche above; returns each with 2 15th century cusp headed lights under a square hood. Plain south doorway with pointed segmental arch under a hood mould.
South nave: with 2 3-light windows having panel tracery and a 4-centred arch, grille leaded panes, brick panels below lights, 2 brick buttresses. North nave: 5 stepped brick buttresses, chamfered brick cap to plinth, blocked north doorway of 4-centred arch with hood mould and brick dressings, 3 19th century 2-light windows with panel tracery within blocked Tudor arches having brick voussoirs. East of nave with blocked opening.
Chancel rebuilt 19th century in varied stone rubble including reused limestone, diagonal buttresses, cusped single lights, 2 to south, 1 to north, 19th century east window of 3-lights with panel tracery. 14th century priest's door to south with hood mould. 19th century vestry to north incorporates part of lava grindstone.
Information from (S2).
S. Spooner (NLA) 5 April 2006
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF6918A-B, N, P-Q, L-M, R-U. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 184. |
|---||Leaflet: Parish Church of Ashwicken with Leziate and part Bawsey.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1997. Labour of love for 26 years. 21 November. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077644. |
|16290||Related to: Shrunken medieval village of Ashwicken (Monument)|
Find out more...