|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval cross, St Mary's Churchyard|
A medieval cross with a chamfered shaft and a rectangular base. This is not the original location of the cross, which may have stood on a former green to the south of the church.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6629 1600|
|Parish:||MIDDLETON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Stone cross - remains of' (Ordnance Survey).
Battered remains of chamfered shaft with stopped corners on broken rectangular base. About 1.25m high. (S1) noted a plaque saying it was restored in 1870 and suggested it came from a green to the south where a pump then stood (in 1930s). The plaque, pump and green have all now disappeared.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 16 June 1981.
23 March 1995.
E. Rose (NLA) 27 March 1995.
The trough of the pump is also in the churchyard, see NHER 3419.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 September 2006.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 NE 11 . |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Middleton. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 318. |
|3419||Part of: St Mary's Church, Middleton (Building)|
Find out more...