Record Details

NHER Number:3409
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of All Saints' Church, Leziate

Summary

This is the site of the medieval parish church of the shrunken village of Leziate. There are no upstanding remains, but medieval building material, floor tiles and human bones have been found on the site. The parishes of Leziate and Ashwicken were united in the late 15th century. The chancel of the church was demolished in the late 16th century and the rest of the church building was in ruins by the end of the 17th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6951 1993
Map Sheet:TF61NE
Parish:LEZIATE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Tiles and masonry found.
Scheduled after damage in 1983.
See list and schedule in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 14 March 1984.

For 1368 Inventory of Church Goods see (S1).
In (S2) Leziate field still open with much of the land belonging to Thomas Thursby.
In 1816 a notice of the permabulation of Rising Chace was still affixed to the door of Leziate church.
Information from (S3).
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 27 March 1990

November 1997.
Countryside Stewardship Management Agreement of field margins adjacent to scheduled church site. See (S4) in file.
J. Allen (NLA) 6 November 1997.

Appropriate section from (S5) in file.

September 2008.
The suggestion that traces of buildings relating to this site are visible on an aerial photograph (S6; see Secondary File and S5) would appear to be unfounded. The marks in the centre of the photograph, at some distance from the church site, are likely to relate to a crop trial or similarly recent agricultural episode. No archaeological features relating to the site were identified by the National Mapping Programme.
S. Tremlett (NLA), 29 September 2008.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE DITCH (Unknown date)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • Management Statement
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Bradfer-Lawrence, H. L. 1932. Castle Rising.
---Unpublished document: English Heritage. 1999. Schedule Report.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Leziate.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Monograph: Watkin, A. 1947-8. Archdeaconry of Norwich: Inventory of Church Goods, temp. Edward III (Parts I and II). Norfolk Record Society Publications. XIX.
<S2>Unpublished document: 1609. Ashwicken with Leziate Glebe Terrier.
<S3>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 62 SE 22.
<S4>Unpublished document: MAFF. Countryside Stewardship Agreement.
<S5>Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12.
<S6>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (AAF). 1982. NHER TF 6919H (AAF 119/23) 13-OCT-1982.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service