Record Details

NHER Number:3402
Type of record:Monument
Name:Deserted medieval village of Holt

Summary

This is the site of the medieval village of Holt, which disappeared when the landlord, the notorious Thomas Thursby, enclosed the land and converted it to pasture for his sheep. Holt was the only Norfolk village recorded in the Commission of Inquiry in 1517 as being totally depopulated in this way.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6757 1843
Map Sheet:TF61NE
Parish:LEZIATE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Holt House stands on site of hamlet of Holt depopulated by Thomas Thursby (1488 to 1517).
See (S1).

Had no church, came under Leziate (Ordnance Survey).

(S2) notes that Holt is the only Norfolk village which the Commission of Inquiry (set up in 1517 to investigate the effects of enclosure and conversion to pasture) reported as being totally depopulated by enclosing the land for pasture.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 5 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF6718 A-B, F-H, J, M-N, P.
---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 NE 2 [2].
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Leziate.
<S1>Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Article in serial: Allison, K. J. 1955. The Lost Villages of Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 116-162. p 133.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service