|Type of record:||Monument|
Several rectangular ditched enclosures are visible on aerial photographs. On Faden's map of 1797 this site is at the edge of a common, which suggests that these enclosures are the remains of medieval tofts.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0892 8261|
|Parish:||BRESSINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
RAF air photograph shows 4 ditched enclosures within existing small field, northern half of site.
Faden's map of 1797, see (S1), shows the east field boundary as common edge, thus strongly suggesting enclosures are tofts.
Land has been ploughed several times and re-seeded since 1946, no surface evidence for earthworks.
Southern half of field had cottage foundations exposed during ploughing in 1960s, adjacent to east boundary, see source .
B. Cushion (NLA) 2 November 1998.
- BUILDING (Undated)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 08/TM 0883/B. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...