Record Details

NHER Number:33696
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two searchlight battery

Summary

The site of a World War Two searchlight battery is visible on aerial photographs to the south of Old Hall Farm, Stiffkey.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9757 4245
Map Sheet:TF94SE
Parish:STIFFKEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1946. RAF air photograph (S1) shows L-shaped complex of small buildings with cropmark of trefoil circular structure to east. Two other circular structures as cropmarks to northeast with apparent path leading north from the easternmost, into grassland and a further circular structure. Probable World War Two searchlight battery, associated with Langham airfield to southeast.
B.Cushion (NLA), 11 June 1998.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
The site of a World War Two searchlight battery is visible on aerial photographs to the south of Old Hall Farm, Stiffkey (S1-S2). The aerial photograph evidence suggests that the site went out of use between 1942 and 1945, as the structures have already been removed on photography of that date.
A trefoil shaped arrangement of banks is visible at TF 9758 4251 and this would have surrounded the searchlight and predictor. Each of the circular components is approximately 17m across and the embankment is between 3m and 4m wide. Another circular embanked structure is located at TF 9763 4355. This is 23.5m across and the bank is 2m to 3m wide. On the 1946 RAF aerial photographs (S1) to the north of the field are possibly two further structures. A raised mound 12.5m in diameter is visible at TF 9761 4264. To the immediate south of this is a trackway running from TF 9761 4269 to TF 9761 4261. This joins with a possible circular depression or trackway running anti-clockwise from TF 9760 4262 to TF 9760 4263, approximately 17m across. It is possible that these are further structures relating to the searchlight battery, however nothing can be seen at these locations on the 1942 RAF aerial photographs (S2). The site contains twelve military huts or buildings, some of these may be nissen huts. There are three lines of huts running from TF 9752 4244 to TF 9752 4247 and from TF 9756 4260 to TF 9762 4259 and from TF 9758 4259 to TF 9758 4256. Two roughly square structures are visible, both 4.5m by 4m, at TF 9753 4253 and TF 9753 4252. Another two possible structures are vaguely visible on the 1942 aerial photographs (S2). These are located at TF 9757 4256 to TF 9758 4256, measuring approximately 5m by 3m. These appear to have a trackway running from them to the northwest.
S. Massey (NMP), 25 February 2003.

Monument Types

  • MILITARY BUILDING (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • NISSEN HUT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 3151-2 07-JUN-1946 (NHER TF 9741B).
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1942. RAF FNO/142 RV 6047-8 08-SEP-1942 (NMR).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service