|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of North Runcton Hall|
North Runcton Hall was built on the site of an Elizabethan hall in 1835. It was extended with a tower in 1853 with Georgian windows and Jacobean gables and dormers. Its iron gates were added in the late 17th century. The house was demolished between 1962 and 1972.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6462 1613|
|Parish:||NORTH RUNCTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
According to (S1) North Runcton Hall is on the site of an Elizabethan hall. It was built by Salvin in 1835, extended with a tower in 1853 in imitation of Georgian and Jacobean styles, the former in windows, the latter in shaped gables and dormers. Contained a staircase from St Anne's House, King's Lynn made in about 1725 and inserted here in 1898. Two paintings by G. A. Pellegrini (Croft-Murray). Iron gates of the late 17th century, made at Lynn, and in 1839, made in the village. The road is supposed to have been diverted west of the house in 1833, though the 1st edition 1in OS still marks it on the east and shows the hall only as a small house - presumably surveyed before the rebuilding.
The house was demolished between 1962-72. It is not known what happened to the staircase. It has been said to be the one in 13 King Street, King's Lynn (NHER 12910), but this is dubious.
E. Rose (NAU) 17 February 1982.
See press cutting (S2) in file.
For further details about the fittings from St Anne's House, which was in fact demolished in 1914, see NHER 13905 secondary file.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 January 2004.
Copy of old photgraph (S3), which was found in NMR files, in secondary file.
E. Rose (NLA) 3 February 2004.
- GREAT HOUSE (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1835 AD to 1972 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. [Photograph of North Runcton Hall]. 4 December. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 574. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Not a lot of people know that!. 24 November. |
|<S3>||Photograph: Elsden, B.V.B.. 1945. National Buildings Record. |
Related records - none
Find out more...