|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Holt Hall park|
Although there is no direct evidence of a designed landscape associated with Holt Hall until the 19th century, it is possible that there was an earlier deer park on the site. In the mid 19th century the landscape around the site of the new hall was dramatically replanned by the new owner, Walter Pemberton. An earlier pond was extended to create an ornamental lake and a long avenue was planted with conifers.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 078 400|
|Parish:||HOLT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey grade two-star (regional importance).
1810 Enclosure Act refers to two fields called Lawn, which may be a corruption of Laund, meaning deer: The Great Wood is ancient woodland, so there may have been a deer park here. Area of woodland cleared to rebuild hall in 1845 (see 6487, 6488) pond enlarged to form lake between 1839 and 1887 with drive carried across.
New conifer avenue to south. Kitchen garden made. Plantations laid out to give glimpse of open fields and standard trees beyond.
Monkey puzzles remain from conifer avenue. Many views now grown across; sweet chestnuts near Hall and a magnificent Oak, Quercus petraea, but much Ponticum.
Part of walled garden is formed by yew hedge and contains greenhouses and pig sties.
See (S1) for details.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 February 1998.
- DEER PARK (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WOOD (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
- GARDEN (19th Century to 21st Century - 1845 AD to 2100 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1845 AD to 2100 AD)
- KITCHEN GARDEN (19th Century to 21st Century - 1845 AD to 2100 AD)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (19th Century to 21st Century - 1845 AD to 2100 AD)
- ORNAMENTAL LAKE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1845 AD to 2100 AD)
- SHRUBBERY (19th Century to 21st Century - 1845 AD to 2100 AD)
- TREE AVENUE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1845 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: White, M.. June 2000. Holt Hall Park.. Glaven Historian. No 3 June. pp 3ff. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust. |
|6487||Part of: Holt Hall (Building)|
Find out more...