|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flints and pottery and Mesolithic or later antler mattock|
A number of prehistoric finds were recovered during peat and gravel extraction, including a flint scraper, late prehistoric pottery fragments and burnt flints. A number of animal bones were also recovered, along with a wooden point and a prehistoric antler mattock.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7748 9563|
|Parish:||CRANWICH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
April/May 1995. Fieldwalking.
Various prehistoric objects found during peat and gravel extraction including a flint scraper, pottery (some possibly Grooved Ware) and burnt flint. Animal bones, a 'wooden point' and an antler mattock were also recovered.
The mattock is not closely datable, radiocarbon dating of similar objects having suggested that they can be Mesolithic, Neolithic or even Early Bronze Age. See drawing (S1) and detailed description in file.
See location sketch and notes in file (which state that a number of objects were with the museum conservation department).
These discoveries were noted in (S2).
W.Milligan (NCM) 16 May 1995. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 2 May 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Mesolithic to Early Bronze Age - 10000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Prehistoric - 500000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- POINT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- MATTOCK (Early Mesolithic to Early Bronze Age - 10000 BC to 1501 BC)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Robins, P. 1995. Drawing of a prehistoric antler mattock from Cranwich. Paper. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1998. Archaeological Finds in Norfolk 1997. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 181-192. p 182. |
Related records - none
Find out more...