|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman, medieval and post medieval metalwork|
Metal detecting here in 1996 recovered a variety of objects and coins. Finds included a Roman strap end from military equipment, a Roman finger ring, a medieval dagger or knife guard and part of an early post medieval spur.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 11 05|
|Parish:||WRAMPLINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1996. Metal detector finds.
Roman small bronze strap end from military equipment.
1st century denarius. See list in file and lists filed under 33051. Identified by J. Davies (NCM) 24 October 1996.
Roman finger ring with facetted hoop (most missing) and shoulders. Set with oval green glass stone with off-centre impression, perhaps of the letter H. 2nd/3rd century.
Roman complete but broken pin with head formed of collar beneath diagonal lines beneath a waisted cylinder.
Medieval lower guard or'quillon' from an elaborate single edged knife or dagger.
Early post medieval spur fragment figure 8 terminal separated from straight side by a grooved vertical bar.
Early post medieval decorated belt mount.
Identified by H. Geake (NCM) 1996.
Pin, ring, coin PP, rest held by NCM. Polaroid in file.
A. West (NCM) 2 September 1996.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DAGGER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KNIFE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SPUR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...