Record Details

NHER Number:32824
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Common Farm, Fersfield


A 16th century timber framed house, with a series of complex later alterations in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0704 8443
Map Sheet:TM08SE

Full description

Timber framed house, originally two cell with smoke bay against gable and possibly a hall house, 16th century.
Stack inserted into smoke bay in early 17th century and building extended to west as open 'hall' or more probably a shed. Floor of older section possibly inserted with stack; floor of later section inserted in later 17th century. Attic floors inserted, firstly in older section and much later in newer section.
Several interesting features of carpentry.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 17 July 1997.

December 2005.
Roof of building destroyed by fire.
(S2) and (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 December 2005.

February 2006.
Second visit after roof of building destroyed by fire. On this occasion, small wing examined that was not seen in 1976, shown to be of 17th century date.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 February 2006.

However the agent states that the small wing dates from 1985 and was made from reused timbers. This would be very surprising.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1997. Building Report. Building Report.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. Fire engines line up to tackle cottage blaze. 20 December.
<S3>Photograph: Beckett, S. (South Norfolk). 2005. [unknown].
<S4>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2006. Building report addendum. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service