|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval garden house, Sandingham Estate|
The site of a Japanese-style pagoda built by the Prince Of Wales in the 1880s to cover a bronze statue. No trace of the structure remains today, but there is a photograph of it in the Estate Museum.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6939 2892|
|Parish:||SANDRINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Pagoda' marked on Ordnance Survey map. There is no trace of this on the ground, and no mention of it in the Sandringham official guide.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 May 1977.
Photograph of 1891 now displayed in Sandringham Estate Museum shows this; it has presumably been demolished. It was more on the Japanese style than the Chinese.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 April 1983.
Reverend Armstrong in his diary gives a full account of this, for 14 October 1882. The 'bronze idol' was brought to Kings Lynn by sea and on to Sandringham by road. 'Native coins' were found inside it.
The Prince of Wales then made the pagoda to go over the top.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 October 1997.
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|3272||Part of: Sandringham House (Building)|
|30486||Part of: Sandringham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...