|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval inscribed stone, King Street|
A late 12th century inscribed architectural stone with an ornamental face was found in the 1870s during the demolition of part of the city's medieval defensive walls.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 000 900|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
About 1870 to 1875.
Inscribed stone. Found during the demolition of a part of the city wall at King Street.
It was taken to the grounds of Carrow Priory, then was removed to the Castle Museum in 1924.
The stone is of ragstone. The ornamental face has a panel of false relief with late 12th century design. It was reused in the 13th century for a memorial inscription interpreted by C.A.R. Radford as to Betrand de Fun…eki.
See site NHER 296.
Dictes paternoster pur l'ame Bertrand de Fun...eki. Den le met en paradis od les sons feels amis. Say a paternoster for the soul of Bertrand de Fun...eki. May God receive it in Paradise with his faithful relatives.
See file for further details, and also file NCM.
- TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INSCRIBED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|384||Part of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)|
Find out more...