|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Wolferton deserted medieval settlement|
The faint earthwork remains of a medieval village are visible as boundaries, banks and ditches on aerial photographs. A few features, including two tofts, can be seen on the ground.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 657 284|
|Parish:||SANDRINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Before 1983. Undated St Joseph aerial photograph. Earthworks of deserted medieval village and associated features.
S. Norton, 11 May 1983.
Only photocopies of photographs on card, (one print now supplied, looks more like drainage), so not possible to tell if all earthworks are Wolferton deserted village, or drainage.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 May 1983.
Before 1958. NHER 3259/context 1 at 6568 2829. Foot of late medieval glazed pipkin found north of St Peter's Church.
E. Rose (NAU).
1994. Area marked 1 on map in file. Ploughed, part arable, part grass, little surface evidence of features.
Area 2 has also had considerable 'improvement' since Cambridge University Committee for Aerial Photography photographs, with scrub clearance, infilling of drains and pond, and possible ploughing. Area is now paddocks with rather subdued banks and ditches indicating some incomplete subdivision and one raised toft to west of cottages in north and one in extreme west adjacent to road.
B.Cushion (NLA), November 1994.
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Unknown date)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF 6528A, B (ST. Joseph BAT 77). |
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Sandringham (Wolferton). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...