Record Details

NHER Number:32479
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two anti-tank cubes

Summary

World War Two anti-tank cubes blocking the road from the saltmarsh and Salthouse village, visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946. These were also encountered during the Coastal Survey conducted by the NAU in 2004.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0780 4384
Map Sheet:TG04SE
Parish:SALTHOUSE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Common anti-tank blocks. Date 1940.
Survey No. D2-5.
Information from [1]. See record form in file.
D.Walker (NLA), July 1996.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
World War Two anti-tank cubes blocking the road from the saltmarsh and Salthouse village on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 (S1). Two cubes are positioned 1.5m apart at TG 0781 4384. The tank cubes can now be found within the field to the west.
S. Massey (NMP), 21 March 2003.

December 2004. Land-based fieldwork phase of the Norfolk Rapid Coastal Survey. NHER 41014, context 19.
One of three groups of two concrete anti-tank blocks. The others are NHER 32464 and NHER 32481.
See (S2) for further details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 6 December 2007.

Monument Types

  • TANK TRAP (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1701 3041-2 27-AUG-1946 (NMR).
<S2>Unpublished Document: Robertson, D., Crawley, P., Barker, A., and Whitmore, S.. 2005. NAU Report No. 1045. Norfolk Rapid Coastal Zone Archaeological Survey. Assessment Report and Updated Project Design..

Related records

41014Part of: Post medieval and World War Two features and structures (Monument)
32480Related to: Site of World War Two spigot mortar emplacement (Monument)
32478Related to: World War Two spigot mortar base (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service