Record Details

NHER Number:32425
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two pillbox and site of former gun emplacements

Summary

A World War Two Type 22c pillbox stands to the west of the lane here. It survives in a decent condition but the shuttering has gone. A 1946 RAF aerial photograph shows that the World War Two defences once extended west of the pillbox and included a searchlight battery and possible machine-gun and anti aircraft emplacements.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9687 0126
Map Sheet:TF90SE
Parish:SCOULTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Common, 1940 type 22c pillbox standing to west of lane. Shuttering gone.
Survey No. K4-5.
Information from member of the public [1]. See record form in file.
D. Walker (NLA) August 1996.

1946.
RAF aerial photograph extends site to west to include searchlight battery of which the pillbox (Context 1) is the surviving feature. This has been repositioned from previous NHER location.
The site consists of three circular banked enclosures for the searchlight and the control building to the southeast. One further circular enclosure is 50m to the south and could be an anti aircraft gun emplacement.
Four smaller circular compounds are noted, possibly machine-gun emplacements and there is a zig-zag ditch on the west and northwest sides of the whole site.
Copy of air photograph in file.
B. Cushion (NLA) August 1997.

Monument Types

  • ANTI AIRCRAFT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • TRENCH (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 90/TF 9701/A.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service