|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Medieval seal matrix and multi-period metal objects|
Metal detecting in 1996 and 1998 recovered a selection of multi-period metal objects and coins. Finds of note included part of an Early Saxon strap end, a medieval/post medieval lead button and a medieval seal matrix inscribed with a hand conferring a blessing.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22 21|
|Parish:||STRATTON STRAWLESS, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
1996. Metal detector finds.
?Early Saxon fragment of strap end.
Medieval/Early post medieval oval lead disc, with two holes, possibly a button (possible motifs in low relief near holes).
Roman, four coins.
Early post medieval coin.
Post medieval token.
See lists in file.
Identifications by S. Margeson (NCM) and J. Davies (NCM).
H. Geake (NCM) 8 November 1996.
Falls within site NHER 23836, context 2.
February 1998. Metal detecting.
Medieval bronze seal matrix, a flat pointed oval in shape with remains of a pierced lug on the reverse at one end. The design is of a hand with two fingers raised in blessing (rather badly drawn) with a legend around which is very hard to read. It seems to begin IN DN and end...ME so it may be a variant of In Nomine Domine (In the name of the Lord). Polaroid taken.
Identified by H. M. Geake (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA) 14 July 1999.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BUTTON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|23836||Related to: Multi-period metal objects, coins and pottery sherds (Find Spot)|
Find out more...