|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmarks of a Bronze Age or undated ring ditch|
Aerial photography from 1990 recorded the cropmarks of a large ring ditch, thought to date to the Bronze Age.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2642 0612|
|Parish:||TROWSE WITH NEWTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
3 July 1990. NAU aerial photography.
Large ring ditch.
D. Edwards (NAU).
April 2009. Norfolk NMP.
The cropmark of an oval enclosure or ring ditch, possibly the remains of prehistoric barrow, is visible on aerial photographs (S1), centred at TG 2642 0612. Its date and function are not known, and even its archaeological origin is uncertain. It is situated on a plateau of sand and gravel to the south of the river Yare.
The postulated enclosure is oval in plan, although this might be exaggerated by it only being visible on oblique aerial photographs used to map the site and consequently being distorted by their rectification. The ring ditch itself measures 31m by 25m internally, and varies in width from 1.3m to 2m. There do not appear to be any breaks, or possible entrances, in the ditch.
E. Bales (NMP), 17 April 2009.
- MORTUARY ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- OVAL BARROW? (Unknown date)
- OVAL ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- ROUND BARROW? (Unknown date)
- MORTUARY ENCLOSURE? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- OVAL BARROW? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- OVAL ENCLOSURE? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- RING DITCH (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- ROUND BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D. NLA. 1990. TG 2606 A-D 03-JUL-1990. |
Related records - none
Find out more...