|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Metal detecting in 1995 recovered part of an Early Saxon brooch, medieval and post medieval coins, and an unusual medieval sword pommel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 14 85|
|Parish:||GISSING, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
October/November 1995. Metal detecting.
Fragment of Early Saxon cruciform brooch, base of bow, transverse moulding, part of foot with stamped crescents and broken lappets. Catchplate on reverse.
Late medieval cast mitre shaped pommel (?), very unusual. Engraved contour line bordere on each face, one face with two vertical ribs, the other with a vertical engraved line.
Identified by S.Margeson (NCM).
Six medieval and four post medieval coins.
See list in file. Identified by J.Davies (NCM).
A.Rogerson (NLA) 4 April 1996.
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SWORD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...