|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bank House, Wiggenhall St Germans|
Bank House is situated on the western bank of the Great Ouse River, and is sunk below the flood bank with no road access. It is a large red brick house of two storeys across five bays, and dates to the early to mid 18th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5951 1408|
|Parish:||WIGGENHALL ST GERMANS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
On west bank of Great Ouse, sunk below flood bank, no road access. Large red brick house. Five bays two storeys. Early to mid 18th century. Pedimented door in centre bay; sash windows under flat arches; platband between floors. Three dormers in pantile roof. Listed building description (S1) sees door, windows and dormers as 20th century restorations with top of wall rebuilt. Internal gable stacks. Tumbled gable to north; on south, later L-shaped attachment, also two storeys but of less height; river front has two first floor windows and one ground floor, but also a blocked window crossing the upper floor level. Wing has gable to west.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 July 1996.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...