Record Details

NHER Number:31819
Type of record:Building
Name:Willow Tree Farmhouse and barn

Summary

Willow Tree Farm is a hall house, with a parlour block rebuilt with a chimneystack, and an upper floor inserted in the early 17th century. This latter section is elaborate, with stopped joists and a good brick chimneystack. The older section is now mostly concealed by an extensive 1970s rebuilding which may have removed later alterations. There is also an 18th century timber-framed barn on this site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1678 8646
Map Sheet:TM18NE
Parish:TIVETSHALL ST MARGARET, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Hall house; parlour block rebuilt with stack, and upper floor inserted, in early 17th century. Latter section is elaborate with stopped joists and good brick stack. Older section now mostly concealed by extensive 1970s rebuilding which may have removed later alterations.
Barn, timber framed, 18th century.
Both listed grade II but subject to delisting appeal 1996.
See report in secondary file (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose 18 April 1996.

Listing confirmed and revised 1996; agrees with NLA analysis though oddly calling the parlour block a 'wing'.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 August 1996.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1996. Building Report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service