Record Details

NHER Number:31805
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Post Office


This grand house dates to 1712 or 1719 with later alterations in the 18th and 19th century including a fine arched door at the rear and a corner fireplace.
The house dates to the early to mid 18th century with later additions. It is constructed from red brick with a pantiled roof. The north of the building has a late 19th century shop-front bay which allowed it to fulfil its function as a post office. The central door-case to the house is 20th century with 18th century scroll brackets and a pedimented leaded canopy. There is a 19th century outshut to the rear with reused datestone of 1719, which is perhaps the date of the front pile.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8724 2530
Map Sheet:TF82NE

Full description

Grand house dated to 1712 or 1719; end stacks, central stairs with servants stair behind. 18th century alterations include a fine arched door to rear additions and a corner fireplace. Other additions at rear in 19th century.
See full report (S1), architects plans (S2) and photographs (S3) in file.
Listed, see (S4).
E. Rose (NLA) 18 March 1996.

22 July 1993. NLA air photography.
Building visible.
See (S5).
M. Brennand (NLA) 7 February 2001.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1712 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 769.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1996. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Photograph: HJB 28-33.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1172572.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TF 8725ABT, ABU.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service