|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmarks of possible Neolithic long barrow and possible cursus, Stow Heath|
Aerial photographs taken in 1990 and 1996 show the cropmarks of linear features, a double ditched trackway, a long barrow and pits at this location. One of the linear features near to the Neolithic long barrow could be a cursus of a similar date. However, none of the other features could be assigned a date.
|Grid Reference:||TG 23322 26896|
|Parish:||BURGH AND TUTTINGTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
28 June 1990. NAU aerial photography.
Several linear features crossing each other at angles, and a double ditched trackway alongside and paralleling the present east-west road.
E. Rose (NLA) 26 January 1996.
15 July 1996. NLA aerial photography.
Cropmarks of long barrow at TG 2353 2682 with evidence of six large pits at east end of feature (reminiscent of megalithic type tombs), which presumably held large timber upright posts.
N.B. site respected by parallel ditches which abut to it - cursus?
Copy of air photograph in file.
D. Edwards (NLA) 17 July 1996.
15 July 1996. NLA aerial photography (S1).
Cropmarks of long barrow showing clearly, also associated linear feature, previously interpreted as a possible cursus.
S. Massey (NLA) 15 October 2001.
September 2006. Vertical Aerial Photograph.
Cropmarks of the long barrow, and linear features show clearly on Google Earth imagery.
See (S2) for further details.
D. Lefeuvre (HES), 7 February 2011.
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- SITE (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- CURSUS (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- LONG BARROW (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- COIN (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1310 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1305 AD to 1306 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1307 AD to 1309 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1400 AD to 1699 AD)
- JETTON (Medieval - 1415 AD to 1497 AD)
- JETTON (Post Medieval - 1586 AD to 1635 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1591 AD to 1594 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1604 AD to 1619 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1641 AD to 1643 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval to Unknown - 1645 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 2326 J-M, P. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG2326/S - U. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 2326N - R, X - Y, AD. |
|<S2>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Infoterra and Bluesky Ltd. 2006. Infoterra and Bluesky Ltd 10-SEP-2006 (Google Earth TG 2330 2689). |
Related records - none
Find out more...