|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds and Middle Saxon runic inscription from River Yare|
Metal detecting in and close to the river recovered a variety of multi period objects. Finds included a Roman Hod Hill type brooch, a Saxon rectangular mount with rosette decoration, a post medieval finger ring and an unusual Middle Saxon disc inscribed with Anglo-Saxon runes.
|Grid Reference:||TG 20 05|
|Parish:||KESWICK, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1995 and before. Metal detecting river and 'close' to river.
Roman Hod Hill type brooch 1st century (bow has been straightened).
Roman pin with decorated head.
Identified by J. Davies (NCM).
?Medieval rectangular mount, gilded, six rivet holes, cast decoration in form of half rosettes in relief on a cross-hatched ground - disc (with runes) and loose pin. Could be 16th century. Later reidentified as 7th to 9th century
Medieval strap end.
?Post medieval thin finger ring.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
W. Milligan (NCM) 14 September 1995.
1995. Stray find in River Yare at Keswick.
Disc, copper alloy, with dark surface and bright reddish reverse. Deeply drilled runic inscription radiating round a central hole, in which is a loose spherical-headed stud. Runes: TLIMHUMG (H and G may be S and N)
Probably Middle Saxon.
See (S1) and (S2).
S. Margeson (NCM) 20 December 1995.
Originally recorded in the parish of Eaton, now part of Norwich.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- DISC (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- RUNE STONE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINGER RING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Hines, J.. 1996. An inscribed disc from the River Yare near Norwich.. Nytt om Runer. |
Related records - none
Find out more...