|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Middle Saxon, medieval and post medieval objects|
Metal detecting in 1995 recovered a Middle Saxon strap end with a narrow elongated animal head, a 14th century medieval gilded copper alloy ring-brooch, a medieval convex disc mount, and an early post medieval sword-belt hooked fitting.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 91 23|
|Parish:||WHISSONSETT, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1995. Metal detector finds.
Middle Saxon strap end with narrow elongated animal head. Main field divides in two by central band. Decorated on each side with four semi-circular motifs (unusual). Niello inlay? Two rivet holes at top.
14th century medieval gilded bronze ring-brooch. Surface decorated with stamped annulets. Surface is flat. Ring is D-shaped section. Pin looped over narrow bar (pin broken).
Medieval convex disc mount, centre pierced hole. Incised radiating lines.
Early post medieval sword-belt hooked fitting, openwork (lion) mesh and part of corresponding plate.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM), October 1995.
Polaroids (S1) in file.
W. Milligan (NCM) 10 October 1995.
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
Related records - none
Find out more...