Record Details

NHER Number:31603
Type of record:Building
Name:Baptist Chapel, Station Street


This Baptist Chapel and hall were built in 1858 of red brick with a gault brick façade and a slate roof. It has two identical three storey towers, and the interior has a gallery to the east, north and south supported on twisted cast iron columns with composite capitals. It is thought that the pulpit and seating remain intact.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8195 0931
Map Sheet:TF80NW

Full description

Chapel and hall 1858 red brick, gault brick facade. Slate roof.
Two identical three storey facade towers with recessed gabled centre between. Pilasters at tower corners and door in base of each. Arched first floor windows and corbels below lantern tops. Centrepiece with three stepped arched windows to each floor. Red brick hall to west. Interior has gallery to east, north and south supported on twisted cast iron columns with Composite capitals. Shallow dished plaster ceiling. Organ gallery to west; below is a marble baptistery, steps right and left. Two staircases with balusters to gallery, east.
Pulpit and seating intact.
Information from (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 13 November 1995.

(S2) includes a description of the building and of the materials used. The foundation stone was laid on the 2nd September 1858 by Rev. W. Woods. The chapel design is closely similar to the Baptist chapel in Diss (NHER 45677).
See (S2) for more details.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 29 November 2012.

Monument Types

  • BAPTIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1858 AD to 2050 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1858 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp.268.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service