|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Wood Dalling Hall, Hall Road|
A very interesting late 16th century red brick country house, two storeys high with attics under a pantiled roof. The south front has three gables and a lower offset gabled porch. Polygonal buttresses project from all the angles, rising to fine decorated circular finials and a group of excellent decorated chimney shafts. The house was built in 1582 for William Bulwer. His son William sold it to Sir John Hobart in 1632 and for a long time it remained part of the Blickling Estate. In the 1970s it was used as a Muslim retreat before being restored and converted to a pub and restaurant in the 1980s. It is now once again a private house.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0735 2710|
|Parish:||WOOD DALLING, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
1582; very interesting building with ornate turrets and access rooms to chimneys.
In bad condition, unoccupied at time of visit. Listed grade II (S1). Site of cross removed to site NHER 7362?.
Building since restored.
Ordnance Survey aerial photographs show possible garden features to west.
For full details see report (S2), architects plans (S3), photographs (S4), press cuttings (S5) to (S9) and sales brochure (S10) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 January 1995.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1972. OS 72 390 387. |
|---||Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. |
|---||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 321, footnote 1. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. For richer, for poorer, it's one of UK's Great archives. 30 May. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Wood Dalling. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. |
|<S3>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S4>||Photograph: BZC 3-6, CBH 21 (old) Large photo in cupboard. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Wood Dalling Hall opens as holiday centre. 15 December. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Gale damage setback after good news. 18 January. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Former Moslem centre for sale. 20 May. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Sale advertisment. 15 May. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Hanging baskets spark legal battle with mansion owner. 25 July. |
|<S10>||Publication: Bidwells. Sales Brochure. |
Related records - none
Find out more...