Record Details

NHER Number:31156
Type of record:Building
Name:Knapton House, Mundesley Road

Summary

A two storey pale brick house, now apartments, of about 1800 with a slate roof. The east front has five window bays, the second and fourth of which project slightly, and the whole façade is brought together by four giant pilasters crowned with acanthus leaves. The central doorway has a semicircular columned porch topped by a railed balcony in front of a french window.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2978 3376
Map Sheet:TG23SE
Parish:KNAPTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

House of about1800.
Gault brick, slate roof.
East façade of two storeys, five bays, second and fourth bays broken forward.
Four giant Ionic pilasters with acanthus capitals!
Central door with semi circular Roman Doric porch with iron balustrade.
Rounded headed ground floor sash windows; two central windows in arched recesses.
First floor central window has balcony within architrave.
Deep timber eaves cornice dentilled in centre below pediment.
Hipped roof with two symmetrical stacks on rear slope.
Returns have similar giant pilasters and bowed walls, deeper on north than south.
Rear block of irregular squared plan.
Information from (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 24 April 1995.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 2933A - C.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 582.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. [Sale advertisement for Knapton House]. 27 January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service