|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman, Early Saxon and medieval to post-medieval finds|
Metal-detecting in 1994 and 2016 recovered a Roman plate brooch; part of an Early Saxon brooch; medieval to post-medieval dress accessories; a medieval/post-medieval scale-tang knife end-cap and copper alloy ring and a post-medieval coin weight.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 13 24|
|Parish:||CAWSTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
April-May 1994. Metal-detecting. .
6th century cruciform brooch, bow and upper, foot of.
Median fine groove on bow, transverse grooves above and below bow. Worn catchplate. Ancient breaks.
(S1) in NCM.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA) 29 September 1994.
March 2016. Metal-detecting. Elden Tours, Field CAW2. Site extended to the whole field. .
Roman plate brooch.
Medieval hooked dress fastener.
Medieval/post-medieval button, scale-tang knife end-cap, copper alloy ring and hooked tag.
Post-medieval coin weight, buckle and strap clasp fragment.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 1 May 2016.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLATE BROOCH (Roman - 150 AD to 300 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- RING (14th Century to 16th Century - 1350 AD to 1600 AD)
- BUTTON (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1600 AD)
- DRESS FASTENER (DRESS) (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1539 AD)
- DRESS HOOK (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1600 AD)
- KNIFE (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1600 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (16th Century to 17th Century - 1540 AD to 1700 AD)
- BUCKLE (16th Century to 17th Century - 1575 AD to 1700 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (16th Century - 1576 AD to 1579 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
Related records - none
Find out more...