Record Details

NHER Number:30683
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Granary


This wherry granary is now a private house. It is built from brick and pantile and has a three-storey façade, with the river staithe running underneath the building to form the wherry bays. The building dates to 1808, but was restored in 1977. It has been listed as an excellent example of a rare industrial building and is one of the best surviving examples of a small inland wherry port.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3734 2466
Map Sheet:TG32SE

Full description

September 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Wherry granary, now private house, dated 1808 'S C S' restored in 1977.
Brick and pantile, three storey facade (which in fact is north gable wall). Door at head of steps between windows, loading door between windows above, also attic loading door. Rear gable weatherboarded. Staithe runs underneath building to form wherry bays, the beams being supported on arched braces. All beams, joists, etc. remain inside. Granary bays have plank walls, iron casements. Roof of tiebeams, one order clasped purlins, collars.
Listed as an excellent example of a rare industrial building.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 8 June 1998.

(Note: the county number was allocated in July 1994, but to a slightly wrong grid reference, however it appears a record form was never made out).

Bore hole logs from underpinning in file.

Noted by (S2) as the best surviving example of a small inland wherry port.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 May 2004.

Monument Types

  • GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WAREHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WHARF (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 674.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF6732.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049368.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Williamson, T.. 2002. Report for Broads Authority.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service