|Type of record:||Monument|
An historic parkland surrounding Ryston Hall (NHER 2461), now partly used as a golf course.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 625 009|
|Parish:||RYSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Historic Parkland on (S1), but not included with (S2).
Sir Roger Pratt inherited the estate in 1667 and built the hall (NHER 2461). However, there is no reference to any parkland within his detailed accounts, although there are substantial references to the garden, which included a kitchen garden and flower garden. The first indication of a park is on (S3), which shows an enclosed area of about 60 hectares. Between 1820 and 1838 additional land was taken into the park to the north west. At the same time the area to the south of the house was being altered to form the main ‘lawn’ of the property. By (S4) some of the original enclosed area had been divided into fields to be farmed. There is no evidence that perimeter belt planting was used on the site. By (S4) it appears that there was little left of Sir Roger’s gardens. A large kitchen garden did exist but lay further east of the hall and was probably built during the estate work of the 1820s. The eastern road had been moved between 1794 and 1849 and now ran along the eastern boundary of the estate complex.
Between (S4) and (S5) the park increased rapidly to 180 hectares. The (S6) shows that though divisions in the parkland still existed they had increased in size. An Ice House (NHER 2462) was located to the north-east of the hall. It was during this period that the arboretum, which included a substantial variety of trees, was formed to the south of the park and the gardens redesigned. By (S5) there were major additions and alterations to the estate, as three fields were added to the park on the opposite side to the north boundary road. A south western tree belt was added and other areas of plantation extended.
There is a Thuja (American red cedar) avenue. The oldest tree at Ryston, reputedly ‘Kett’s Oak’, has a girth of 30 feet.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 March 1994.
Updated by E. Micholl (UEA), 14 November 2011.
1996. Visited whilst surveying site NHER 2453.
Earthworks in park to northwest and northeast of hall sketched on 1:2500.
In northwest, previous drive is visible as a hollow with continuation of hollow way from site NHER 2453.
Linear depressions both sides of present drive suggest parkland features, possibly earlier limits of park, with possible ponds.
Rectangular layout of drains to west seen to south on Ordnance Survey air photograph.
Northeast of hall, series of north-to-south ditches crossing former drive.
Plot out in file.
B.Cushion (NLA), May 1996.
22 July 1996. NLA air photography.
Area of park near/round hall visible, including some earthwork features.
H. Clare (NLA), 4 December 2001.
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Unknown date)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- FLOWER GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KITCHEN GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: 76124 373. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 6201AM - ABA. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|<S3>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S4>||Map: Burcham, C.. 1839. Ryston & Roxham tithe map. |
|<S5>||Map: 1929. 6 inch Ordnance Survey Map. |
|<S6>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|2461||Part of: Ryston Hall (Building)|
Find out more...