|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval house with medieval cross and stonework, 7 Eaton Street|
This L-shaped building dates to around 1860, but the gabled street range and side wing incorporate blocks of earlier medieval stone. The blocks in the side wing may relate to the cottages that were once attached here. The garden of this property contains a stone acorn which may be the base of a medieval wayside cross, brought here from the site of the bypass, and two large fragments of medieval window tracery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2028 0621|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Reused stone in house and garden.
Building is an L-shaped house of around 1860, flint with Cossey brick mouldings, listed Grade II as 'good 19th century copy of 17th century style' but not of strictly archaeological interest. However in the gabled street range, and in much greater quantity in the side wing, are many blocks of reused ashlar. None have visible mouldings but the moulded faces may be turned inwards. The side wing may have older origins; other cottages were once attached to the west of the main building. In the garden is an object resembling a stone acorn with depression in top about 1m high, just possibly some sort of cross base, said to have come from the site of the bypass to the north (see site NHER 9559) and two large fragments of Decorated or Perpendicular window tracery delivered in recent years in a load of rubble - origin unknown.
E. Rose (NLA) 19 August 1993.
Originally recorded in the parish of Eaton, now part of Norwich.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (19th Century to Unknown - 1860 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051261. |
Related records - none
Find out more...