|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval settlement and multi-period finds from Donnyngs field|
Prehistoric flints, pieces of medieval lava quern and fragments of medieval and post-medieval pottery found during fieldwalking. A concentration of medieval pottery was recorded in the south of the field, suggesting that this was the site of a small medieval settlement on the edge of a small green shown on an estate map of 1629. Metal-detecting in 2011 recovered medieval pottery, medieval strap-end or buckle plate and pot mend, medieval/post-medieval vessel leg fragment and post-medieval crotal bell.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0530 9928|
|Parish:||MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
10 May 1993. Fieldwalking finds.
Medieval to post-medieval sherds.
See detailed lists and site plans in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 August 1993.
(S1) notes a small concentration of medieval pottery in the south of the field, one of a number of concentrations along the edge of a former green as shown on (S2) and (S3).
See (S1) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA), 15 May 2006
March-April 2011. Metal-detecting.
Medieval pot sherds, medieval, medieval/post-medieval and post-medieval metal objects.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (HES), 25 May 2011.
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT MEND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP END (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- CROTAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1994. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1993. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt I pp 115-123. pp 118-119. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Davison, A.. 1994. Results of Fieldwalking around Morley Research Centre (Manor Farm). |
|<S2>||Map: Waterman, T.. 1629. Map of Morley St Botolph with St Peter. |
|<S3>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...