|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Medieval settlement and multi-period finds|
Prehistoric flints, pieces of medieval lava quern and fragments of medieval and post-medieval pottery found during fieldwalking in 1993. Metal-detecting between 2011 and 2016 recovered medieval pottery; a medieval coin and medieval to post-medieval metal objects. The metal finds include a medieval strap-end or buckle plate, buckle and pot mend; a medieval/post-medieval vessel leg fragment and chape and a post-medieval crotal bell.
A concentration of medieval pottery was recorded in the south of the field, suggesting that this was the site of a small medieval settlement on the edge of a small green shown on an estate map of 1629.
|Grid Reference:||TM 0530 9928|
|Parish:||MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
10 May 1993. Fieldwalking finds.
Medieval to post-medieval sherds.
For further details see report (S1) and detailed lists and site plans in file. The results of this survey are also noted in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 17 August 1993.
(S1) notes a small concentration of medieval pottery in the south of the field, one of a number of concentrations along the edge of a former green as shown on (S3) and (S4).
See (S1) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA), 15 May 2006
March-April 2011. Metal-detecting.
Medieval pot sherds, medieval, medieval/post-medieval and post-medieval metal objects.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (HES), 25 May 2011.
September-October 2015. Metal-detecting. .
1 medieval coin.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 1 October 2016.
November 2015-January 2016. Metal-detecting. .
Medieval/post-medieval lace chape.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 7 March 2016.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT MEND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP END (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUCKLE (12th Century to 13th Century - 1150 AD to 1250 AD)
- LACE TAG (13th Century to 16th Century - 1300 AD to 1600 AD)
- COIN (14th Century - 1307 AD to 1309 AD)
- CROTAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Davison, A.. 1994. Results of Fieldwalking around Morley Research Centre (Manor Farm). |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1994. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1993. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt I pp 115-123. pp 118-119. |
|<S3>||Map: Waterman, T.. 1629. Map of Morley St Botolph with St Peter. |
|<S4>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...