|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval anchor, Burnham Flats|
In 1993 a giant anchor was dredged from the sea eleven miles off Brancaster. The anchor had a wooden stock and lettering which may suggest Sunderland as an origin. It was dated to the 18th century and is the property of the National Maritime Museum, although is on display in St Nicholas’ Chapel, King's Lynn.
Images - none
|Parish:||NORTH SEA, -, NORFOLK|
July 1993. 11 miles off Brancaster.
Dredged up by Antares II when looking for brown shrimps.
Giant anchor, V-flukes and straight stock at right angles. Stock is of wood which finder believes dates anchor to 18th century or earlier. Anchor lettered W A R (or E) N SUND - latter possibly indicating Sunderland.
Examined by KLM - late 18th century.
Possibly to be displayed on Boal Quay at Kings Lynn.
Press cutting (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 17 August 1993.
The anchor is now the property of the National Maritime museum. It is a very important 18th century example, as they are rarely found complete. It is now displayed in St Nicholas Chapel, Kings Lynn.
E. Rose (NLA) 1 May 2001.
- WRECK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1993. Anchor away!. 31 December. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1993. Historic catch for two Lynn fishermen. 2 July. |
Related records - none
Find out more...